C&I Energy Efficiency Program Sponsors are leveraging ENERGY STAR to improve building performance. The case studies and materials below illustrate best practices, lessons learned, and energy performance achievements.
View the Directory of Energy Efficiency Programs for a listing of the C&I energy efficiency programs of partners across the country that incorporate ENERGY STAR.
- Case studies of C&I Energy Efficiency Program Sponsors
*These case studies are meant to serve as program snapshots. The information contained therein was valid at the time that the resources were developed.
- Building Performance with ENERGY STAR: Early Experience Summary (March 2012) (PDF, 683 KB)
- Consumers Energy - ENERGY STAR Certification Pilot (PDF, 509 KB)
- Focus on Energy — Business Program (PDF, 61 KB)
- NSTAR — Benchmarking Program (PDF, 58 KB)
- Pacific Gas & Electric Company — More Than a Million (PDF, 57 KB)
- Program Sponsor Teaming Profiles with Business Partners
- ComEd and Calico Energy Services (PDF, 201 KB)
- Sample Marketing Materials for building performance programs and services
- ComEd bill insert — Energy Usage Data Tool (PDF, 183 KB)
- Sample Program Materials for building performance programs
- NYSERDA's Focus on Commercial Real Estate program produces a benchmarking scorecard that integrates the 1 - 100 ENERGY STAR score with regional metrics.
- New Jersey’s Clean Energy Building Performance with ENERGY STAR coupled with their Pay for Performance program provides incentives for energy improvements in large facilities, and promotes comprehensive, whole-building energy upgrades for businesses.
- Consumers Energy Smart Buildings program educates consumers to benchmarking using Portfolio Manager, provides incentives for low- and no-cost whole building energy efficiency improvements, and helps to identify capital improvements.
- Portfolio Manager Web Services
- ComEd's Energy Usage Data Tool aids in the benchmarking of multi-tenant commercial buildings by allowing building managers to retrieve aggregate energy usage data for buildings with multiple tenant meters.
- Pacific Gas and Electric Company uses Portfolio Manager web services to help customers benchmark.
- Upon request, Puget Sound Energy will upload 24 months of consumption data to your Portfolio Manager account.
- San Diego Gas & Electric will upload 36 months of your building’s energy data from all accounts.
- Seattle City Light's program for Portfolio Manager web services is open to building owners and building managers in compliance with RCW 19.27A.170 and Seattle City Council Bill 123226.
- Southern California Edison uses Portfolio Manager web services to allow customers to seamlessly upload energy data into their Portfolio Manager accounts.
- Southern California Gas Company is the first gas utility in the country to become a Portfolio Manager web services user.
- Benchmarking Competitions
- ENERGY STAR Energy Efficiency Competition Guide (PDF, 2.6MB)
See Additional Resources on whole building performance.