Benchmarking with Portfolio Manager, and disclosing the results, is increasingly being encouraged and even required by state and local governments. Furthermore, reporting benchmarking results and/or certification status is a part of a number of green certification programs, as well as financing opportunities for multifamily properties. Pursuing ENERGY STAR certification can help to set a property up to comply with state/local/federal mandates, receive favorable financing/loan rates, and complement other sustainability initiatives.
State and Local Ordinances
Numerous cities and states have passed legislation containing energy efficiency mandates for existing commercial buildings. The vast majority incorporate ENERGY STAR. See the list of legislation and campaigns leveraging ENERGY STAR. Even if your project is not in a currently mandated area, by encouraging your clients to start benchmarking now, you’re positioning them to respond to any future laws or mandates that come their way.
Leveraging benchmarking mandates to drive added value
- Assess each ordinance individually: What are the requirements; who needs to comply and when; are utilities providing data; etc.
- Educate your customers and prospects: Help explain the program requirements and provide other information required to comply
- Articulate your value-added service: Once benchmarking is complete, what else can you deliver to support energy performance improvement and help the customer’s bottom line?
- Use the ENERGY STAR score and other metrics to start the conversation
- Leverage analytics to help diagnose issues and support improvement
- Support improvement through audits, monitoring-based commissioning, and more.