Benchmarking for Clients
You can’t manage what you don’t measure. Getting a handle on current and past energy use is a critical first step. Through ENERGY STAR, EPA provides benchmarking tools you can use to help your clients set a baseline for energy use, compare their performance to their peers, and analyze trends.
Working with your clients, you can use benchmarking results to identify under-performing buildings, set investment priorities, verify efficiency improvements, and receive EPA recognition for superior energy performance. More importantly, with all of this information in one place, your clients can gain a better understanding of the factors that affect their energy performance.
For commercial buildings
ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager is widely used across the commercial buildings market and enables your clients to track and assess energy, water, waste, and greenhouse gas emissions across entire portfolios of buildings, all in a secure online environment. More importantly, it can help your clients implement every step of their energy management program, from setting a baseline and identifying which buildings to target, to setting goals and tracking improvements.
- Tool: Learn more about EPA’s popular, industry-leading ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager
- Resource: Identify what data is required to benchmark through Portfolio Manager
- Resource: Determine the best way to manage benchmarking data for your clients
- Resource: Help your clients obtain utility data to facilitate benchmarking.
- Service: Use web services to exchange your clients’ data with Portfolio Manager
- Service: Help your clients pursue ENERGY STAR certification for top-performing buildings
- Resource: Watch this 45-min. webinar to understand how Portfolio Manager can boost your project sales and align with your goals.
- Resource: Watch this 55-min. webinar to learn if benchmarking as a service is right for your company and hear best practices for getting started.
- Service: Implement benchmarking as a service for your clients.
For industrial plants
ENERGY STAR provides Energy Performance Indicators (EPIs) to help you benchmark industrial plant energy performance. EPIs are external, industry-specific benchmarking tools that score a plant’s energy performance and compare it to that of similar plants in its industry within the U.S. These statistical models generate an energy performance score (also known as EPA’s 1 – 100 ENERGY STAR score) on a scale of 1 to 100 using actual plant data—not engineering projections—and evaluate a plant in terms of energy per unit of production at the whole plant level. For eligible plants that score 75 or higher using the relevant EPI, EPA distinguishes these top performers with ENERGY STAR certification.
- Resource: Learn more about specific opportunities for Industrial Service and Product Providers (iSPPs)
- Resource: Learn more about Energy Performance Indicators
- Service: Pursue ENERGY STAR certification for plants
For Commercial New Construction
Resource: See ENERGY STAR Design Guidance.