Energy competitions are a proven and effective way to reduce energy use. A competition can inspire participants to reduce their operating costs and their environmental footprint by challenging them to improve their facilities’ energy efficiency. Time and time again, leading ENERGY STAR partners have found that a spirit of healthy competition and the opportunity for recognition are among the best drivers for participation in organization- or community-wide energy management.
- Use the ENERGY STAR Energy Efficiency Competition Guide to work out the logistics and details of your competition
- Visit our section on motivating with a competition to find:
- Existing competitions that you or your constituents might join
- Best practices and lessons learned from other competitions, such as Louisville’s Kilowatt Crackdown, Chicago’s Green Office Challenge, and Denver’s Watts to Water competition
- Information about EPA’s ENERGY STAR National Building Competition, a nationwide contest among commercial buildings to see who can reduce their energy waste the most