EPA’s ENERGY STAR® program invites your organization to build your own competition to save energy, water, or waste. Use no-cost guides and templates to help plan every step of your competition, from determining the framework to collecting and managing the data to celebrating successes and sharing best practices.
BUILD YOUR OWN BATTLE!
After several successful years hosting the ENERGY STAR National Building Competition: Battle of the Buildings, EPA is encouraging organizations like yours to build your own competition to save energy, water, or waste. Competitions can be a great way to motivate your team to find new efficiencies, engage occupants in your efforts, and multiply savings across your portfolio – all while helping the environment.
WHY BUILD A COMPETITION?
Competitions can help you:
- Save energy, water, and money – and reduce waste
- Identify best practices to leverage across your portfolio
- Jumpstart savings that last beyond the competition
- Work toward your sustainability goals
- Engage your occupants and local community
- Earn positive publicity for achievements
- Build momentum for benchmarking and improving efficiency
ANYONE CAN BUILD A COMPETITION
Any organization, public or private, can build an efficiency competition, including trade associations, commercial businesses, manufacturing plants, utility companies, local and state governments, schools, congregations … and the list goes on! As long as you have more than one building in your portfolio or can recruit more than one building to participate, you can build a competition.
CO-BRAND YOUR COMPETITION WITH ENERGY STAR
Building a co-branded ENERGY STAR Battle of the Buildings competition has the added benefit of allowing you to leverage the national ENERGY STAR brand—recognized by more than 90% of American households—to support your competition.
As a host of a co-branded ENERGY STAR Battle of the Buildings Competition, you could:
- Have direct support of the ENERGY STAR program
- Engage competitors with tailored ENERGY STAR Battle of the Buildings resources
- Award top performers with ENERGY STAR branded recognition
Requirements for co-branding your competition with ENERGY STAR
- Be an ENERGY STAR partner
- Be headquartered in the United States
- Use Portfolio Manager to collect competitor data
- Recognize winners based on actual measured data, including at least one quantitative metric available within Portfolio Manager
- Verify winner data by a Licensed Professional (Professional Engineer or Registered Architect)
- Provide a summary of your competition and results to EPA’s ENERGY STAR program upon conclusion
- Agree not to promote any specific commercial product or service