You don’t need to own your home to make energy-efficient changes. Renters can save energy at home, too! Whether you’re renting an apartment, townhouse, or a home, you can make a big difference for the environment. Plus, many renters pay their own utility bills, so you can save some money along the way.
Here are a few energy-saving tips that don’t require any home remodeling:
- Eliminate wasteful standby power consumption.
- Many electronics consume energy even when turned off. Start by unplugging certain electronics when not in use, like battery chargers or power adapters (e.g. your cell phone charger).
- Use a power strip as a central "turn off" point when you are done using equipment. Power strips are particularly helpful for home office equipment, which can use as much as 20 or even 40 watts of standby power for each piece of equipment! Using a power strip completely disconnects the power supply from the power.
- And remember to always choose ENERGY STAR electronics, which are specially designed to minimize energy waste when in standby mode.
- Save water to save energy.
- Install an EPA WaterSense certified showerhead, and take quick showers instead of baths—you can save 2,900 gallons of water a year!
- Only wash full loads of laundry and you can save 3,400 gallons of water each year! If you must wash a partial load, reduce the level of water too.
- Scrape dirty dishes, don’t rinse, before loading the dishwasher to decrease the total water and energy used to clean the dishes. Many dishwashers today use soil sensors to adjust the cycle to achieve optimal cleaning while minimizing energy and water use.
- Don’t forget the lights!
- Replace your five most frequently used light fixtures or the bulbs in them with ENERGY STAR certified lights, and save more than $44 a year in energy costs.
- Remember to always turn off your lights when leaving a room—it only takes seconds to save for hours while you’re away!
If any of these tips are things you can't change on your own, share these tips and encourage your landlord to help you make a change for the better!