Did you know, ENERGY STAR certified windows, doors, and skylights now perform better than ever? "Why’s that?," you ask. As of January 1, 2016, ENERGY STAR improved the performance requirements for these products. Here’s how:
Climate Zones for ENERGY STAR Windows, Doors, and Skylights
1. More Heating and Cooling Savings Nationwide
The new ENERGY STAR performance criteria for windows, doors, and skylights are designed to save more money on energy bills and improve the comfort of your home. The criteria vary by location since different climates need different features (see climate zone map above). Learn how much replacing your windows can save in these 95 major U.S. cities.
2. Certified Air Leakage Performance
Air leakage certification is required in building codes for windows, doors, and skylights used in new construction, but is not always checked for replacement products. Now, you can be even more certain that your ENERGY STAR window, door, and skylight products won’t be leaky or drafty.
3. Third-party Verification Testing
ENERGY STAR certified products are randomly selected for third-party verification testing and are disqualified if they don’t meet the requirements. You can be confident that your ENERGY STAR certified windows, doors, and skylights will perform as advertised.
- Learn how to take advantage of existing tax credits for ENERGY STAR certified windows, doors, and skylights.
- Read more on the benefits of ENERGY STAR certified windows, doors, and skylights and what makes them ENERGY STAR.
- Visit www.energystar.gov/windows for additional information.