ENERGY STAR’s Rule Your Attic! campaign is back this year to encourage homeowners to stop wasting energy, save money, increase their home’s comfort, and reduce the pollution that contributes to climate change.
Homeowners throughout the U.S. are starting to wake up to frost on the grass and furnaces or boilers running full blast. Cold weather is here! Now is the time to do a quick, simple check of your attic insulation level to save money on energy bills and be more comfortable this winter. We call checking your attic insulation level: RULE YOUR ATTIC!
Don’t waste your hard earned money, just check your insulation level today to know if you have a problem or not. It only takes a few minutes. Here are the basic steps:
- Grab a tape measure or ruler and a flashlight (You can also bring your cell phone).
- Carefully climb up your attic stairs or ladder, and raise the attic hatch or door.
- Reach out and stick the ruler into the existing floor insulation and measure the depth in inches. Jot down the number or take a picture with your cell phone to record the number.
On the next installment in the Rule Your Attic! series, we’ll tell you what those numbers mean! Stay tuned to learn more.
- For more information, visit ENERGY STAR Rule Your Attic
- Check out the rest of our short how to Rule Your Attic videos
- Get expert advice and see how others are ruling their attic by following #RuleYourAttic on Twitter