Virginia Beach City Public Schools
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Partner of the Year
Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) serves more than 67,000 students in more than 11 million square feet of building space. VBCPS is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year recognition for its successful use and promotion of ENERGY STAR tools and resources for energy efficiency and continuous improvement efforts, and for significantly improving average portfolio-wide ENERGY STAR scores. Key 2017 accomplishments include:
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for 38 buildings in 2017, including first-time ENERGY STAR certification for three buildings.
- Avoiding costs of more than $4 million per year since 2006.
- Using ENERGY STAR score metrics as part of the project prioritization process, completing four retro-commissioning projects, leading to increased ENERGY STAR scores in each building.
- Converting heating and cooling systems in three schools to geothermal HVAC systems and using them as teaching tools as part of student curriculum.
- Opening the first facility designed using Design to Earn the ENERGY STAR criteria.
- Expanding efforts to individualize heating and cooling setback schedules and temperature points, leading to optimized temperatures and maximized efficiency and occupant comfort.
- Promoting the ENERGY STAR program through speaking engagements at national, state, and local conferences and meetings.