New York, New York
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Verizon operates a wireless network with 110.8 million retail connections nationwide. Verizon is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its commitment to cutting its companywide carbon intensity in half by 2020, and for promoting energy efficiency awareness among customers and employees. Key accomplishments include:
- Reducing weather-normalized source energy by 3.5 percent across 1,447 Verizon wireless properties and 1.3 percent across Verizon wireline properties.
- Using social media to communicate about its green initiatives including ENERGY STAR activities and certifications, with over 40,000 impressions.
- Certifying 85 Verizon Wireless stores and its first data center in 2016, for a total of 200 ENERGY STAR certified stores nationwide.
- Pursuing energy efficiency projects company wide, including heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) upgrades, light-emitting diode (LED) lighting retrofits, and economizer installations at a variety of retail stores, offices, and cell sites.
- Improving the efficiency of mobile switching centers by 16 percent from 2011.