New York, New York
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Verizon operates America’s most reliable wireless network, with 110.8 million retail connections nationwide. The company employs a diverse workforce of 177,900 and generated more than $127 billion in revenue in 2014. Verizon is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its commitment to cutting its companywide carbon intensity in half by 2020, and for promoting energy efficiency awareness among customers and employees. Key 2015 accomplishments include:
- Combining Verizon Wireless with Verizon Corporate Real Estate to form Verizon Team Energy, growing its cross functional energy management team and increasing the size of its portfolio of buildings benchmarked in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager® by 13 percent.
- Reducing weather-normalized source energy by 0.4 percent across 15.4 million square feet of Verizon real estate.
- Serving as a Change the World with ENERGY STAR campaign pledge driver; in 2015 pledges by Verizon employees and customers represented avoided greenhouse gas emissions of more than 9 million pounds.
- Certifying 32 Verizon Wireless stores in 2015, for a total of 206 ENERGY STAR certified buildings nationwide.
- Pursuing more than 100 different energy efficiency projects company wide, including building automation system installations and upgrades, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) upgrades, light-emitting diode (LED) lighting retrofits, and economizer installations at a variety of retail stores, offices, network locations, and cell sites.
- Motivating employees by recognizing energy performance achievements—for example, nine Verizon stores won 20-percent improvement awards in the ENERGY STAR National Building Competition—through store celebrations, as well as internal- and public-facing communications.