The University of Chicago
Partner of the Year
The University of Chicago is an institution of higher education. In 2020, University of Chicago expanded the reach of its energy conservation measures while further engaging the campus community on energy efficiency and ENERGY STAR. Key 2020 accomplishments include:
- Partnering with a campus research institute to host nine student research assistants that supported the university’s energy and sustainability programs.
- Revising its greenhouse gas emissions reduction goal to be on an absolute rather than intensity basis.
- Sharing back energy performance information with the campus community through benchmarking dashboards and engaging them through utility plant tours and other initiatives.
- Implementing preventative maintenance and commissioning projects in 14 buildings constituting 2.5 million square feet of its most energy-intensive floor area as well as a campus-wide steam insulation project.
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for two of its buildings.
- Responding to the COVID-19 pandemic with an eye for energy efficiency, through HVAC assessments and repairs, setbacks with lower occupancy, and more.