New York, New York
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
TIAA-CREF is one of the largest institutional real estate investors in the United States. TIAA-CREF’s investments include 30 million square feet of Class A office space, more than 14,400 multifamily units, and four million square feet of retail properties. TIAA-CREF is committed to achieving property-level energy goals annually, and has set a portfolio-wide goal to reduce its energy consumption by 20 percent by 2020. TIAA-CREF is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its dedication to superior energy management across its portfolio. Key 2014 accomplishments include:
- Benchmarking the energy and water use of 100 percent of its office, multifamily, and wholly-owned retail portfolios in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager®.
- Being among the first organizations to earn the ENERGY STAR for multifamily properties by certifying three properties.
- Establishing and documenting energy- and water-saving opportunities for each office, multifamily community, and wholly owned retail property using the Global Real Estate Sustainability Initiative.
- Distributing more than 326,000 compact fluorescent light bulbs since 2008 through the ENERGY STAR Change a Light, Change the World campaign, saving more than $16 million and 150 million kilowatt hours of energy.
- Educating tenants on ways to reduce utility bills through distribution of pamphlets, and promoting ENERGY STAR broadly by the use of quarterly reports, communications with third-party property managers and building engineers, and giveaways to tenants.
- Achieving Executive Member status in the ENERGY STAR Certification Nation by assisting the certification of more than 50 buildings this year.