Partner of the Year
Target Corporation is the second largest discount retailer in the nation, with 1,802 stores and 38 distribution centers across the United States. Target is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of Year recognition for its commitment to energy management, incorporation of ENERGY STAR into communications, and outstanding achievement in earning ENERGY STAR certification for its stores. Key 2016 accomplishments include:
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for its corporate headquarters, for a total of more than 1,400 certified buildings, and leading the retail sector in total buildings certified.
- Investing in innovative programs that leverage the company’s building automation and energy systems to improve demand-side energy management. For example, in 2016 Target extended its peak load management program to 742 locations to reduce demand for electricity when consumption peaks, saving 29 kilowatts (kW) per site per month.
- Participating in the ENERGY STAR National Building Competition: BOOTCAMP and using ENERGY STAR resources to raise awareness of the company’s energy management achievements among staff and customers.
- Implementing portfolio-wide improvements in energy efficient sales-floor lighting, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) optimization, and refrigeration systems, resulting in 94 million kilowatt hours (kWh) estimated annual savings.
- Completing 171 solar installations of nearly 70 megawatts (MW), more than any other U.S. retailer, for a total of 364 store installations nationwide.