Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Staples, Inc. is the world’s largest office-products company and the second largest internet retailer. Staples has annual sales of $25 billion and 88,000 associates worldwide. Staples is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its strong corporate-level commitment to energy management, and its continued enthusiasm and innovation in promoting ENERGY STAR to associates and customers. Key 2015 accomplishments include:
- Reducing weather-normalized source energy intensity by two percent in 2015, equating to $900,500 in savings.
- Certifying 36 buildings in 2015, bringing the total number of ENERGY STAR certified buildings to 624 nationwide.
- Continuing the “Eco-Treasure Hunt” program, an intensive three-day energy and water audit and recommissioning exercise between Staples’ corporate energy-management team, facility staff, and a multi-disciplinary team of experts in equipment and systems. This program had led to reductions of 3.7 million kilowatt hours over the last three years.
- Retrofitting lighting in stores and distribution centers to light-emitting diode lighting (LED) and T8/T5 fluorescents with motion sensors, respectively.
- Offering more than 900 ENERGY STAR products, with sales exceeding $320 million.
- Entering four stores and three distribution centers in EPA’s 2015 ENERGY STAR National Building Competition.