Southern Maryland Electric Cooperative (SMECO)
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Energy Efficiency Program Delivery
Southern Maryland Electric Cooperative (SMECO) is a customer-owned cooperative providing electricity to more than 160,000 residential customers. In support of the EmPOWER Maryland Energy Efficiency Act of 2008, SMECO launched its residential energy efficiency programs. SMECO is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year–Sustained Excellence recognition for its demonstrated leadership in its promotion of the ENERGY STAR platform and advancement of energy efficiency. Key 2017 accomplishments include:
- Delivering a cumulative total of 230,000 megawatt hours (MWh) of energy savings since since the launch of its energy efficiency programs.
- Paying incentives on 470 ENERGY STAR certified homes, and introducing a new smart thermostat incentive, with nearly 3,500 homes certified since joining the program, equating to more than 1,200 MWh in savings.
- Increasing sales of ENERGY STAR certified LEDs by 355 percent compared to 2016, and distributing more than 32,00 ENERGY STAR certified LEDs to local food pantries.
- Increasing program effectiveness in promoting ENERGY STAR certified pool pumps and heat pump water heaters through its contractor portal, which is leveraged by seven water heater and eigh pool pump contractors. Pool pumps performed at 328 percent above their 2017 goal.
- Educating retailers on the benefits of ENERGY STAR certified appliances, and providing more than 8,000 incentives to customers. SMECO also continues to promote proper recycling of older appliances in accordance with recommended recycling practices.
- Successfully implementing a new incentive structure designed to encourage more comprehensive Home Performance with ENERGY STAR projects, and increased energy savings compared to the previous program structure.