Southern Maryland Electric Cooperative (SMECO)
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Energy Efficiency Program Delivery
Southern Maryland Electric Cooperative (SMECO) is a customer-owned cooperative providing electricity to more than 160,000 customers. Since 2009, SMECO’s programs have helped to deliver over 230,000 MWh of electricity savings across its portfolio of residential, commercial, and industrial energy efficiency programs. SMECO is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its successful delivery of ENERGY STAR Certified Homes, Certified Products, and Home Performance with ENERGY STAR (HPwES) programs. Key 2016 accomplishments include:
- Influencing the sale of more than 208,000 ENERGY STAR certified lighting products this year, and 2.8 million products to date.
- Offering programs on diverse ENERGY STAR certified products, including clothes washers and dryers, refrigerators, heat pump water heaters, lighting, pool pumps, geothermal heat pumps, and ductless mini split systems.
- Launching the Assisted HPwES program for income-qualified customer-members; and initiating a promotional effort that generated more than 1.4 million impressions and 670-percent growth in website session traffic to the Assisted HPwES webpage.
- Adopting indoor air quality standards that require HPwES participating contractors to take indoor air quality into consideration for every measure installed.
- Incentivizing more than 460 ENERGY STAR certified homes, for a total of almost 3,000 since 2009. SMECO‘s promotional campaign generated more than 2.1 million impressions among residential customers, a nearly 7-percent increase since 2015.