Southern Maryland Electric Cooperative
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Efficiency Program Delivery
Southern Maryland Electric Cooperative (SMECO) is a customer-owned electricity cooperative. Through community awareness and marketing campaigns, SMECO has promoted ENERGY STAR® across the residential home and consumer products sectors to help customer-members save energy. Key 2021 accomplishments include:
- Saving more than 51,000 megawatt-hours (MWh) of electricity across its ENERGY STAR programs.
- Providing incentives for more than 600 ENERGY STAR certified homes and nearly 500 ENERGY STAR smart thermostats.
- Increasing market penetration for ENERGY STAR certified homes to 39% across its service territory and running a digital promotion campaign that resulted in 1.6 million impressions.
- Onboarding 85% of local distributors to participate in its midstream heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) program, while featuring the ENERGY STAR logo prominently in advertisements, program collateral, and its website.
- Saving customers over 2,500 MWhs through its ENERGY STAR appliance rebate program, which leverages ENERGY STAR resources to promote the programs to customers.