Southern Maryland Electric Cooperative
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Energy Efficiency Program Delivery
Southern Maryland Electric Cooperative (SMECO) is a customer-owned electricity cooperative, serving 165,000 customers. SMECO has leveraged ENERGY STAR across the residential and consumer products sectors to help customer-members save energy. Key 2019 accomplishments include:
- Supporting the construction of more than 600 ENERGY STAR certified homes, a 15 percent increase since 2018, as well as a 23 percent increase in overall energy savings over the same period.
- Running a digital promotion campaign that resulted in 9.4 million impressions, focused on the benefits of ENERGY STAR certified homes and ENERGY STAR certified smart thermostats.
- Providing incentives for more than 9,300 ENERGY STAR certified appliances through downstream, midstream, instant rebates and online channels, saving customers 1,980 megawatt hours (MWh).
- Capturing more than 16,900 MWh in energy savings through its Residential Lighting Program, a 53 percent increase from 2018.
- Recycling more than 1,600 appliances, saving 1,595 MWh, and hosting two appliance turn-in events for customers to drop off room air conditioners or dehumidifiers.