SL Green Realty Corp
New York, New York
Partner of the Year
SL Green Realty Corp, New York City’s largest office landlord, is a real estate investment trust (REIT) that primarily acquires, owns, manages, leases, and repositions office properties in Manhattan, with an expanding retail and multifamily portfolio. As of December 31, 2014, SL Green owned interests in 36 suburban assets totaling 5.9 million square feet. This includes ownership interests in 28 million square feet of buildings. SL Green is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year recognition for its commitment to using ENERGY STAR as the foundation of its energy management program. Key 2014 accomplishments include:
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for 16 properties and more than 8.5 million square feet of building space, and joining the Certification Nation campaign as a Premier member.
- Continuing its commitment to building sustainable work environments through the Memorandum of Understanding with EPA by benchmarking its properties through ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager® and applying for ENERGY STAR certification for eligible buildings. Since the launch of its benchmarking program in 2010, more than 25 properties, totaling 11.5 million square feet have received this designation.
- Investing more than $35 million in energy efficiency projects since 2010, including light-emitting diode (LED) lighting, and HVAC, and real time energy management initiatives to save more than $13 million annually with an average project payback of only three years.
- Extensive tenant outreach and education program to communicate the importance of sustainability and energy efficiency, including the value of ENERGY STAR to tenants through email blasts, building signage, webinars, and town hall events designed to engage volunteers and tenants.
- Developing its annual GRI Sustainability report to share key program information and highlights with shareholders, investors, and tenants. SL Green’s report includes complete greenhouse gas emissions reporting and future commitments to program development.