Sears Holdings Corporation
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Sears is an integrated retailer receiving Partner of the Year-Sustained Excellence recognition. Sears has had a longstanding commitment to energy efficiency and community outreach across all its business units for superior energy management across its portfolio. Key 2018 accomplishments include:
- Saving an average of 6.9 percent energy in retail stores and increasing its average ENERGY STAR rating 3.6 percent, from 81.2 to 84.1 across its entire portfolio of 1,147 properties.
- Earning 140 ENERGY STAR certifications for Sears and Kmart Stores, with a total of 923 certified properties since 2009.
- Retrofitting its distribution center with LED lights and programable controls with an expected annual energy savings over $560,000 and 7.7 million kilowatt hours.
- Installing LED technology in 168 stores, energy management systems in 29 stores, and pilot testing automatic demand response programs in select properties.
- Boosting employee engagement and educating customers about the ENERGY STAR brand through social media, including 5.8 million likes on Sears and Kmart Facebook, and over 386,000 followers on Twitter.
- Implementing automatic demand response activities to reduce its electrical consumption by as much as 25 percent, reducing stress on the electrical grid during high demand periods and helping utilities to keep electricity on and costs lower within their communities.