Sears Holdings Corporation
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Sears Holdings Corporation is the top home appliance retailer and a leader in tools, lawn and garden, fitness equipment, and automotive repair and maintenance. Sears is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its longstanding commitment to ENERGY STAR across all business units. Sears demonstrated leadership in marketing and merchandising certified products, adoption of superior energy management across its building portfolio, and driving awareness of energy efficiency through consumer education. Key 2016 accomplishments include:
- Earning the ENERGY STAR for 39 full-line stores in 2016 for a total of 687 certified buildings portfolio wide.
- Implementing targeted marketing for key innovative product areas, such as ENERGY STAR certified heat pump water heaters, leading to a 14-percent increase in sales over last year in addition to consistent increases across all other ENERGY STAR product categories.
- Improving weather-normalized source energy use by 8.8 percent in its full-line stores, raising its portfolio average 1 – 100 ENERGY STAR score from 75 to 80, and reducing electricity usage by 746 million kilowatt hours (kWh) since 2008.
- Competing in the ENERGY STAR National Building Competition for the seventh year, this time with three stores entered in the 2016 National Building Competition: BOOTCAMP.
- Highlighting participation in ENERGY STAR programs and featuring numerous ENERGY STAR products at the Sears Summit, an invitation based event at Sears headquarters for utilities, efficiency contractors, and manufacturers.
- Installing energy management systems in 79 stores to improve demand-side management of chillers, boilers, roof top units, and other systems, for a total of nearly 300 stores upgraded since 2014.
- Collaborating with EPA and playing a leadership role in new national market transformation efforts through the ENERGY STAR Retail Action Council and the ENERGY STAR Retail Products Platform pilot.