Scott County Schools
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
Scott County Schools (SCS) is a school district in Kentucky. SCS leveraged ENERGY STAR® to engage stakeholders, district officials, custodians, teachers, and students as part of the monthly Energy Reduction Award program. Key 2021 accomplishments include:
- Saving more than $9.4 million in energy costs since 2010, equivalent to the funds required to employ 240 teachers for one year.
- Achieving ENERGY STAR certification at 14 schools and maintaining a district-wide average ENERGY STAR score of 82.
- Communicating ENERGY STAR and energy efficiency goals to all community stakeholders through newspaper articles, as well as through in-person presentations from the energy manager to students and School Board members.
- Engaging students in energy savings teams that compete monthly for an “energy banner” and additional recognition.
- Installing efficient LED lighting and geothermal heat pumps in school retrofits.