Principal Real Estate Investors, LLC
Des Moines, Iowa
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Principal Real Estate Investors is the dedicated real estate investment group of Principal Global Investors, providing investment management support for retirement plans and institutional clients. The company continually integrates ENERGY STAR® programs and resources into its energy management and responsible property investing strategies. Principal Real Estate Investors is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year–Sustained Excellence recognition for outstanding use of ENERGY STAR tools and resources and for its corporate commitment to energy conservation. Key 2017 accomplishments include:
- Benchmarking 183 buildings in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager®, totaling 32 million square feet and $10 billion in real estate value.
- Achieving ENERGY STAR certification for 53 properties.
- Reducing energy consumption in 2017 by 6.1 percent and avoiding 7,700 metric tons of CO2 emissions over 2016 levels, contributing to $38.5 million in cumulative avoided energy costs and a $118.9 million increase in asset value over a 2008 baseline.
- Expanding on its Energy Playbook program, and the launching multiple new program initiatives such as its Utility Data Management policy, its Smart Buildings policy, its Smart Buildings blog series, its Fund Sustainability Dashboard pilot, and its tenant sustainability dashboard.
- Surpassing its energy savings target of 10 percent by 2020, and setting a new target of 20 percent.
- Expanding its Scope of Work for Appraisals to require the review and incorporation of ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager data as part of property appraisals.