Principal Real Estate Investors
Des Moines, Iowa
Partner of the Year
Principal Real Estate Investors is the dedicated real estate investment group within Principal Global Investors, a subsidiary of Principal Financial Group, with annual revenues in excess of $10 billion. Principal Real Estate Investors is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year recognition for continuation of the Pillars of Responsible Property Investing (PRPI) platform that integrates ENERGY STAR as a key component, and implementation of energy conservation and sustainability policies. Key 2016 accomplishments include:
- Reducing site energy consumption by 3.2 percent, equivalent to the energy required to power 874,000 square feet of building space for the median commercial building.
- Achieving an average portfolio-wide 1 – 100 ENERGY STAR score of 84.
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification with 68 properties (including 66 re-certifications).
- Requiring property teams to begin tracking solid waste data in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager®, replacing an annual solid waste and recycling survey used previously.
- Launching the PRPI Energy Playbook pilot program, which seeks to help individual properties set performance targets and identify opportunities for improvements.
- Developing the PRPI Handbook and PRPI Addendum, which contains a centralized set of energy and sustainability policies and practices, for use by building managers and operators, that facilitate improved energy and sustainability performance.
- Launching the Principal Green Property Fund II, a specialized and innovative real estate investment fund targeting the development and acquisition of high-performing ENERGY STAR and LEED Certified properties.