Principal Real Estate Investors
Des Moines, Iowa
Partner of the Year
Principal Real Estate Investors is the dedicated real estate investment group within Principal Global Investors, a subsidiary of Principal Financial Group, with annual revenues in excess of $10 billion. Principal Real Estate Investors is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year recognition for adopting the Pillars of Responsible Property Investing (PRPI), a holistic environmental, social, and governance platform to guide staff and property management partners that integrates ENERGY STAR as a key component. Key 2015 accomplishments include:
- Reducing energy consumption by 1.8 percent and avoiding 3,400 metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent, contributing to the $20.8 million saved and $68.8 million increase in asset value over the PRPI initiative’s history.
- Benchmarking 202 buildings in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager®, totaling 34 million square feet and $9.6 billion in real estate value.
- Achieving 2015 ENERGY STAR certification at 65 buildings (including 60 re-certifications).
- Launching the Property Performance Guidelines, a defined set of building operations practices and policies that leverage ENERGY STAR tools and resources and specify ENERGY STAR and WaterSense® certified products and appliances.
- Developing the Engagement Toolkit, a series of customized resources for property teams to engage and communicate with tenants about ENERGY STAR resources such as Bring Your Green to Work.
- Receiving recognition from the United Nations Principles of Responsible Investing with an “A” rating on its annual survey; receiving the Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark’s “Green Star” designation for multiple real estate funds; and being recognized by the Carbon Disclosure Project as the CDP S&P 500 Climate Performance Leader and Climate Disclosure Leader.