Potomac Electric Power Company (Pepco)
Washington, District of Columbia
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Energy Efficiency Program Delivery
Potomac Electric Power Company (Pepco), a subsidiary of Exelon Corporation, is an electric utility. Pepco implemented a performance-based incentive structure that encouraged both customers and contractors to increase energy savings per job, leading to an additional 14 percent in electricity savings and 9 percent in natural gas savings over the previous year. Key 2020 accomplishments include:
- Performing 1,414 home energy assessments and 926 Home Performance with ENERGY STAR projects, which included replacing more than 200 HVAC systems and 100 heat pump water heaters.
- Achieving 105 percent of its annual commercial program savings goal, incentivizing nearly 235,000 ENERGY STAR certified products across more than 3,800 projects.
- Providing incentives for the construction of more than 500 homes and nearly 600 smart thermostats, yielding more than 1,000 megawatt-hours of energy savings.
- Leveraging the ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager tool for customers and service providers, which helped Pepco’s portfolio reach its commercial and industrial savings goals for 2020.
- Collaborating with Washington Gas & Light to introduce four new residential efficiency measures (ENERGY STAR certified gas furnaces, boilers, storage, and tankless water heaters), resulting in an additional savings of 2,800 MWh of electricity and 51,000 therms of natural gas.