Potomac Electric Power Company (“Pepco”)
Washington, District Of Columbia
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Energy Efficiency Program Delivery
“Pepco” has been providing electric service to the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area for 117 years. Pepco launched its energy efficiency programs in Maryland in 2008 and is making great strides toward meeting or exceeding its EmPOWER Maryland energy efficiency goals, crediting much of its success to effectively leveraging the powerful ENERGY STAR® brand in residential new construction, certified products, commercial and industrial, and Home Performance with ENERGY STAR (HPwES) programs. The company is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its energy efficiency programming in its Maryland service territory, which includes 815,000 customers. Key 2015 accomplishments include:
- Providing incentives for more than 370 homes, bringing the program total to 1,493. Market share for ENERGY STAR certified homes in the Pepco service territory is now close to 42 percent, and Pepco provides extensive training to builders, raters, and other partners to meet stringent Version 3.1 requirements.
- Incorporating ENERGY STAR messaging into consumer campaigns using Facebook, web banners, Google AdWords, newspaper advertisements, and print inserts showcasing all of Pepco’s programs that delivered 4.8 million impressions for the year.
- Driving the market for ENERGY STAR certified lighting, appliances, and HVAC products, complemented by its partnership with ENERGY STAR’s sister program the Responsible Appliance Disposal (RAD) Program to deliver more than 42,000 megawatt hours in energy savings in 2015. In 2015, Pepco added new ENERGY STAR measures to its program portfolio, including ENERGY STAR pool pumps and dryers, and continued a well-rounded strategy that engaged retailers, local contractors, bill inserts and direct mail and social media, retail training, events, and signage and seasonal campaigns highlighting ENERGY STAR facts and messaging.
- Distributing nearly 12,000 ENERGY STAR certified compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs to 3,000 food pantry patrons at no additional cost, allowing Pepco to reach limited-income customers who may not otherwise have been able to participate in their lighting program, offering these patrons educational talks and take-away materials about the benefits of using ENERGY STAR certified CFLs, the best places to install them, and proper bulb disposal and recycling.
- Expanding the availability of whole-building energy data and Portfolio Manager Web services to help buildings in Montgomery County, MD, benchmark via the Resource Advisor tool.
- Collaborating with other Maryland utilities and industry stakeholders to advance the EmPower Maryland HPwES program. In 2015, Pepco successfully added Energy Coaches to its offerings. The Energy Coach serves as a third-party unbiased resource available to help HPwES customers navigate the home improvement process.