Potomac Electric Power Company (“Pepco”)
Washington, District Of Columbia
Partner of the Year
Energy Efficiency Program Delivery
“Pepco” has been providing electric service to the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area for 117 years. The company is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year recognition for its energy efficiency programming in its Maryland service territory, which includes 537,000 customers. Pepco launched its residential energy efficiency programs in Maryland in 2008 and is making great strides toward meeting or exceeding its EmPOWER Maryland energy efficiency goals, crediting much of its success to effectively leveraging the powerful ENERGY STAR brand in residential new construction and certified products. Key 2014 accomplishments include:
- Providing incentives for more than 500 homes, bringing the program total to 951. Market share for ENERGY STAR certified homes in the Pepco service territory is now close to 40 percent, and Pepco provides extensive training to builders, raters, and other partners to meet stringent Version 3.1 requirements.
- Incorporating ENERGY STAR messaging into consumer campaigns using Facebook, web banners, Google AdWords, newspaper advertisements, and print inserts showcasing all of Pepco’s programs that delivered 4.8 million impressions for the year.
- Facilitating the sale of more than 12,000 ENERGY STAR certified appliances and 1.6 million ENERGY STAR certified lighting products—an 11-percent increase in bulb sales compared to the same time period in 2013—resulting in annual savings of more than 75,500 megawatt hours.
- Encouraging customers to participate and take advantage of a wide range of energy-saving programs and purchase ENERGY STAR certified products: appliances, high-efficiency cooling and heating systems, as well as compact fluorescent light (CFL) and light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs. The ENERGY STAR logo was seen in free-standing inserts, newspaper ads, direct mail, utility bill inserts, Facebook ads, Google ads, radio ads, email, rich media mobile ads and web banners.
- Collaborating with other Maryland utilities and industry stakeholders to advance the EmPower Maryland Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program.