Pinellas County Schools
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
Pinellas County Schools (PCS) is a public school district in Florida. PCS has a long-standing commitment to preventing energy waste, optimizing building and comfort systems, and creating a culture of sustainability as demonstrated by earning ENERGY STAR® certification. Key 2022 accomplishments include:
- Achieving recognition as an ENERGY STAR Certification Nation Executive member by earning the ENERGY STAR for 58 schools in 2022.
- Saving more than 53 million kWh of electricity and 316,000 therms of natural gas, for a total cost avoidance of more than $8.3 million annually and more than $43 million since 2015.
- Using a 3.5-megawatt solar plus storage microgrid at John Hopkins Middle School as a shelter for special needs during emergencies.
- Sustaining an energy incentive program that allows schools to earn discretionary dollars based on their performance on energy audits conducted throughout the school year.
- Promoting ENERGY STAR initiatives to students and the surrounding community reaching more than 115,000 stakeholders.