Pinellas County Schools
Partner of the Year
Pinellas County Schools (PCS) is the sixth-largest public school district in Florida serving more than 100,000 students with 5,000 employees across 140 campuses. PCS is receiving Partner of the Year recognition and has a long-standing commitment to preventing energy waste, optimizing building and comfort systems, and creating a culture of sustainability. Key 2018 accomplishments include:
- Avoiding more than seven million dollars in energy costs and 60 million kilowatt hours of electricity in 2018.
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for 92 schools in 2018, representing more than half of the ENERGY STAR certified schools in Florida and maintaining an average portfolio-wide ENERGY STAR score of 72, a four percent increase from 2017.
- Implementing a student engagement lesson plan, with an ENERGY STAR savings hunt assignment to engage students in the importance of energy conservation and sustainability in school and at home.
- Configuring HVAC schedules to match the occupancy patterns for after school and special events to minimize the use of HVAC systems in unoccupied spaces and eliminating or limiting the use of push button occupancy overrides to reduce energy waste.
- Enacting an energy incentive program, engaging all students, faculty, and staff, which allowed schools to earn discretionary funds based on their performance on six energy audits.