Piedmont Office Realty Trust, Inc.
Partner of the Year - Energy Management
Piedmont Office Realty Trust, Inc. is a real estate investment trust. Piedmont has leveraged its ENERGY STAR® partnership and resources to develop innovative ways to communicate the value of energy efficiency to its tenants and employees. Key 2022 accomplishments include:
- Achieving ENERGY STAR certification for 47 buildings.
- Hosting an energy competition based on energy savings of landlord-controlled energy consumption. Monthly reports were provided so that teams could consistently track progress, and the team with the most energy savings received an extra paid day off and a dinner with company executives.
- Developing its decarbonization strategy which includes four primary focus areas, including grid decarbonization and energy efficiency as short-term goals, renewable energy as a medium-term goal, and electrification as a long-term goal.
- Adding a Sustainability Standard to its Dallas region lease template that requires tenants to use ENERGY STAR certified equipment, including lighting, office equipment, commercial quality kitchen equipment, vending and ice machines, and products certified by the U.S. EPA’s Water Sense® program.
- Adding a Sustainability Rate Adjustment to a revolving loan fund in which it receives a favorable interest rate adjustment if the number of annual ENERGY STAR certifications and year-over-year average ENERGY STAR score increases.