Partner of the Year
Energy Efficiency Program Delivery
PECO is an electric and natural gas utility subsidiary of Exelon Corporation serving 1.6 million electric and 502,000 natural gas customers in southeastern Pennsylvania. PECO began promoting ENERGY STAR® products in 2009 and has been broadening its efforts ever since. Whether it’s a residential or commercial customer, low-income or middle-class single family, adult head of household or school-aged child, PECO residents of all ages and walks of life are encouraged to use ENERGY STAR products to save energy and protect natural resources and the local environment. PECO is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year recognition for its commitment to promoting ENERGY STAR certified products. Key 2014 accomplishments include:
- Facilitating the sale of more than 1.5 million compact fluorescent light and light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs through retail channels with a notable 676-percent increase in LED sales between 2013 and 2014.
- Promoting ENERGY STAR certified appliances, electric heating and cooling equipment, and natural gas heating and hot water equipment and adjusting electric appliance and equipment rebate levels to focus on the measures that carried the maximum energy savings—successfully influencing the sale of nearly 23,000 products.
- Cross promoting its appliance recycling incentive, along with rebates offered on new ENERGY STAR certified refrigerators, to encourage customers to have their old refrigerators hauled away instead of keeping them as secondary refrigerators. Through October 2014, PECO provided rebates for 9,863 older refrigerators and freezers.
- Adding new outreach efforts to homebuilders, architects, realtors, home energy raters and municipal construction inspectors to promote the benefits of ENERGY STAR Homes. Although still in its infancy, the program is already showing great promise and is on track to certify more than 100 homes.
- Saving PECO customers 113,418 megawatt hours annually from programs directly linked to ENERGY STAR and proper recycling.