Partner of the Year
Ozinga is a construction materials and logistics company. Using the ENERGY STAR Guidelines for Energy Management, the company built a corporate energy management program that has produced a 15 percent reduction in energy intensity in its first year. Key 2019 accomplishments include:
- Modifying its fleet so that natural gas fueling stations are now contracted to dispense renewable natural gas from a landfill. The company's compressed natural gas fleet greenhouse gas emissions have improved by 75 percent in comparison to the emissions from a comparable diesel fleet, all while experiencing no change in vehicle performance.
- Registering Ozinga's 20 highest production facilities in the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry to provide external goals to the sites.
- Conducting treasure hunts to identify plant savings and participating in the inaugural ENERGY STAR Treasure Hunt Campaign.
- Building a compressed air leak detection and repair program that incorporates operation team training on leaks, advanced ultrasonic air leak detection and bi-annual plant walkthroughs.
- Creating a diverse companywide energy team comprised of operations and maintenance managers along with corporate employees from communications, information technology and finance to lead the program.
- Completing energy projects including retrofitting five maintenance shops with LED lighting and developing the Ozinga Ready-Mix Plant Energy Assessment Guide, a scorable energy opportunity identifier tool targeted to plant operators.