Partner of the Year
Northwestern University is one of the nation’s leading academic and research universities. The University has fully integrated its energy management program into all levels of the campus operations. Northwestern University is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year recognition for its energy savings and promotion of ENERGY STAR tools and resources to students and employees. Key 2017 accomplishments include:
- Avoiding more than 2,400 metric tons of carbon in 2017, and cummulatively reducing energy use by more than nine percent since 2012.
- Replacing exterior lighting fixtures with LEDs with dimming controls, saving more than $50,000 in electricity costs annually.
- Co-branding with ENERGY STAR throughout the Residence Hall’s Green Cup competition, which resulted in savings of more than 167,000 kilowatt hours of electricity and more than 34,000 cubic feet of water, equivalent to the greenhouse gas emissions saved by diverting 44 tons of waste from landfill to recycling.
- Implementing a Green Office Certification program modeled after EPA’s ENERGY STAR Bring your Green to Work, engaging more than 700 University employees across the campus.
- Implementing a steam trap survey program resulting in a 90 percent decrease in wasted steam energy since 2013 and savings of nearly $2 million each year.