New York, New York
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Based in New York City, New York-Presbyterian Hospital (NYP) is the nation’s largest nonprofit, non-sectarian hospital, with over 2,600 beds. Its six major campuses encompass 34 buildings and 8 million square feet, making it among the top two percent of energy users in the New York City metropolitan area. NYP is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its ongoing commitment to comprehensive energy management. Key accomplishments include:
- Increasing its portfolio-wide average ENERGY STAR score three points over its 2013 score.
- Reducing its average annual source energy intensity by six kilo British thermal unit (kBtu) per square foot, a reduction of over 45 million kBtu across its portfolio.
- Achieving nearly $2 million in energy cost savings by repairing or replacing air handler units, installing boiler economizers, improving chiller sequence of operations, installing variable frequency drives, and replacing inefficient parking lot lights with light-emitting diode (LED) lighting.
- Holding Earth Day events across six campus locations to educate staff and patients about conservation efforts used throughout the hospital. More than 2,000 ENERGY STAR compact fluorescent lights were distributed to employees who attended.
- Educating employees, patients, and the general public about energy efficiency and its ENERGY STAR partnership through its website, onsite Earth Day events, energy fairs, speaking opportunities, and interviews.