ENERGY STAR Marketing
National Grid is an electricity, natural gas, and clean energy delivery company, serving more than 5.5 million residential customers in New York, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island. National Grid Rhode Island successfully implemented a multichannel energy-saving marketing campaign developed to drive awareness, education, and participation in its ENERGY STAR programs resulting in millions of impressions and nearly 30 million kWh in savings for Rhode Island. Key 2020 accomplishments include:
- Promoting ENERGY STAR certified lighting and appliances through retail point-of-sale signing that featured ENERGY STAR along with energy and rebate savings benefits.
- Enhancing the customer experience online through owned and marketplace channels, including further integration of ENERGY STAR brand and benefits education through a dedicated energy-efficiency blog and e-blast featuring ENERGY STAR, and increased promotions of ENERGY STAR certified lighting, room air cleaners, dehumidifiers, and smart thermostats on its marketplace. 2020 marketplace sales included 3,872 ENERGY STAR certified smart thermostats and 29,239 certified lighting kits.
- Educating customers and increasing demand for ENERGY STAR certified products through a comprehensive media strategy, including digital and paid search tactics as well as participation in Energy Efficiency and ENERGY STAR Day.
- Serving harder-to-reach families with a variety of community partnership initiatives that included a food bank program that reached 23,000 families with 46,800 ENERGY STAR certified bulbs, as well as a school fundraiser and distribution of free back-to-school kits to 21,000 needy families to help save energy and money and educate students about the benefits of ENERGY STAR, while preparing them for careers in energy.
- Initiating an overarching educational “Comfort Zone” campaign to address energy-saving opportunities for customers during the pandemic. The campaign featured ENERGY STAR certified lighting and appliances as energy-saving solutions to help customers conserve energy and save money during hard times.