Merck & Co., Inc.
Kenilworth, New Jersey
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
Merck & Co., Inc. is a global health care company that develops prescription medicines, vaccines, biologic therapies, and animal health products. Building on ENERGY STAR® strategies, Merck achieved a 3.2% energy intensity reduction that contributed to a 1% reduction in energy related scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions from a 2019 baseline. Key 2022 accomplishments include:
- Issuing a $1 billion sustainability bond that will provide additional funding for energy efficiency and decarbonization projects.
- Investing $7.2 million on new sustainability and energy capital projects under the existing Sustainability Capital Fund.
- Maintaining ENERGY STAR certification at one manufacturing plant for a 14th consecutive year and at two buildings.
- Completing a 7.2 MW solar farm, which is the largest owned renewable asset in Merck’s portfolio.
- Actively supporting the ENERGY STAR Pharmaceutical Industry Focus and ENERGY STAR industrial partnership through mentoring, benchmarking, and sharing information.