Merck & Co., Inc.
Kenilworth, New Jersey
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
Merck & Co., Inc. (Merck) a global health care company that produces prescription medicines, vaccines, biologic therapies, and animal health products. Drawing on ENERGY STAR® resources and strategies, Merck reduced the energy intensity of its U.S. sites by 10.1% from 2015 to 2021. Key accomplishments for 2021 include:
- Maintaining ENERGY STAR certification at one manufacturing plant for a 13th consecutive year and at three buildings, despite impacts from COVID-19.
- Actively supporting the ENERGY STAR Pharmaceutical Industry Focus and ENERGY STAR industrial partnership through mentoring, benchmarking, and sharing information.
- Setting new goals to reduce scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions by 46% by 2030 from a 2019 baseline and to purchase 100% renewable electricity by 2025.
- Establishing a new Environmental Sustainability Strategy with efficiency in operations as one of three key tactics.
- Creating a Low Carbon Transition Playbook to support facilities in meeting their new greenhouse gas emissions reduction targets.