Merck & Co., Inc.
Kenilworth, New Jersey
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Merck & Co., Inc. is a global healthcare company that delivers health solutions through medicines, vaccines, biologic therapies, and animal health products. Merck achieved more than a 3 percent energy intensity reduction across its operations worldwide in 2020 and earned ENERGY STAR certification for five buildings, one for its 10th consecutive year, and one manufacturing plant for a 12th consecutive year. Key 2020 accomplishments include:
- Actively supporting the ENERGY STAR Pharmaceutical Industry Focus and the broader ENERGY STAR industrial network by sharing energy and greenhouse gas reduction strategies.
- Convening its Design Thinking Workshop to develop a decarbonization strategy and establish pilot projects for enhanced greenhouse gas emissions reductions, including greater site electrification while also conducting the first Merck Sustainability Summit that engaged over 400 employees world-wide.
- Restructuring its Integrated Facilities Management program to ensure energy, water, and waste reduction practices are emphasized along with new key performance indicators.
- Updating its green building standard to incorporate sustainability earlier in a project and reducing the return on investment (ROI) threshold from 22 percent to 11 percent to enable a greater impact on renovations.
- Continuing progress in meeting the company’s 2025 goals for renewable energy purchases with a letter of intent to purchase 60 MW of solar energy, adding to the 60 MW purchased in 2019.
- Requesting 90 percent of its strategic suppliers to identify opportunities for greenhouse gas and water use reductions.