Merck & Co., Inc.
Kenilworth, New Jersey
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Merck & Co., Inc. (Merck) is a global, research-based pharmaceutical and healthcare company that produces innovative medicines, vaccines, and animal health products. Merck has a well-established energy and sustainability program that reaches high levels of performance. Merck is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year–Sustained Excellence recognition for its continued leadership in energy management. Key 2017 accomplishments include:
- Achieving more than a three-percent reduction in energy intensity for U.S. and global facilities over the previous year. Since 2015, Merck has reduced energy intensity by 11.6 percent in the U.S. and 9.5 percent globally.
- Obtaining ENERGY STAR certification for six buildings and one manufacturing plant, which earned the ENERGY STAR for the ninth consecutive year.
- Investing more than $12 million in energy projects through the Merck Energy Efficiency Capital Fund.
- Implementing a major initiative to purchase 50 percent of its electricity from renewables by 2025 towards the goal of 100 percent renewable electricity by 2040.
- Establishing strategies to engage and train facility machine room operators to improve energy efficiency and reliability for over $400,000 in energy cost savings.
- Actively participating in and supporting the ENERGY STAR Focus on Energy Efficiency in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing, Industrial Partnerships, and various ENERGY STAR sponsored initiatives.