Merck & Co., Inc.
Kenilworth, New Jersey
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Merck & Co., Inc. (Merck) is a global, research-based pharmaceutical and healthcare company with a vision to be “the most energy-efficient company in the pharmaceutical industry and a leader among FORTUNE 500 companies.” Merck has a successful energy and sustainability program that reaches high levels of performance. Merck is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its continued leadership in energy management and strategic focus on helping others achieve world class status for energy management. Key 2015 accomplishments include:
- Achieving a two-percent reduction in energy intensity for U.S. facilities and a two-percent reduction globally from 2014. Since 2010, Merck has reduced energy intensity by 16 percent in the United States and 13 percent globally.
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for one manufacturing plant and three office buildings in addition to helping a former plant earn certification under a new owner.
- Sharing best practices and mentoring ENERGY STAR partners.
- Actively participating in the ENERGY STAR Focus on Energy Efficiency in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing.
- Engaging employees through the creation of an online Energy Treasure Hunt tool that allows individuals to submit energy-saving ideas.
- Investing more than $12 million in energy efficiency projects through the Merck energy efficiency capital fund.