Merck & Co., Inc.
Kenilworth, New Jersey
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Merck & Co., Inc. (Merck) is a global, research-based pharmaceutical and healthcare company with a vision to be “the most energy efficient company in the pharmaceutical industry and a leader among FORTUNE 500 companies.” Merck has a successful energy and sustainability program that reaches high levels of performance. Merck is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its continued leadership in energy management and strategic focus on helping others achieve world class status for energy management. Key 2014 accomplishments include:
- Achieving a 7.1-percent reduction in energy intensity at its U.S. and Puerto Rico sites and 9.8-percent reduction globally over 2013. Energy savings at the U.S. and Puerto Rico facilities have helped avoid 60,000 metric tons of carbon emissions.
- Establishing a new corporate greenhouse gas emissions reduction goal—a 15-percent absolute reduction by 2020 using a 2012 baseline.
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for four manufacturing sites and four office buildings in the United States.
- Achieving the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry at three manufacturing sites in Puerto Rico, France, and Germany.
- Investing over $10 million in energy efficiency projects through the Merck energy efficiency capital fund.
- Promoting energy efficiency by mentoring other ENERGY STAR partner companies in conducting Energy Treasure Hunts; actively participating in EPA’s ENERGY STAR Focus on Energy Efficiency in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing; and engaging suppliers, customers, employees, and local communities through social media, events, and other communication tools.