Marathon Petroleum Corporation
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
Marathon Petroleum Corporation (MPC) manufactures and markets renewable and petroleum fuels and provides energy logistics services. Working with ENERGY STAR®, MPC leveraged its Focus on Energy program to eliminate the energy consumption of 530 billion Btu and the emission of 28,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide per month, producing savings of $42 million. Key 2022 accomplishments include:
- Attaining a 3% improvement in the oil refining business’ energy intensity index.
- Increasing the number of ENERGY STAR certified oil refineries to six; two have secured certifications for 17 consecutive years. MPC reached Member status in ENERGY STAR Certification Nation.
- Achieving the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry at four terminals where the average energy intensity reduction was over 20%.
- Completing significant projects that enabled energy-efficient operation and prepared the company for future savings. MPC replaced or retrofitted all gas-driven, high-bleed pneumatic controllers within its natural gas operations and studied how to optimize steam management with the goal of reducing steam demand so that boilers and cooling towers can be retired.
- Advancing the company’s strategic plan to produce lower carbon energy. Construction of a joint venture soybean processing plant was begun that will support MPC production of 75 million gallons of renewable diesel annually. MPC tested an online combustion optimization program to reduce fuel firing in fired heaters and is using hydrogen in fuel gas systems to reduce carbon dioxide emissions where possible.