Marathon Petroleum Corporation
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
Marathon Petroleum Corporation (MPC) manufactures and markets renewable and petroleum fuels and provides energy logistics services. MPC showed leadership among ENERGY STAR® industrial partners by sharing methods for maximizing energy efficiency and long-term strategic energy planning. Key 2021 accomplishments include:
- Earning the ENERGY STAR for five refineries. Two refineries have been certified for 16 consecutive years, and all have received certification multiple times, representing the potential for sustained energy performance at U.S. refineries.
- Demonstrating energy management in supporting areas of the business by achieving the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry at four terminals for an average energy intensity reduction of 34 percent over three years.
- Supporting the annual ENERGY STAR industrial partner meeting with thoughtful presentations designed to move the industry forward on decarbonization and working with individual partners to help them advance their energy management programs.
- Advancing new renewable fuel options in the market through two new plants and providing a biobased aviation fuel.
- Strengthening communication initiatives to engage employees around project execution and management. MPC expanded a dashboard within the refining organization to enable all employees to assess progress among key performance indicators.