Marathon Petroleum Corporation
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Marathon Petroleum Corporation (MPC) manufactures and markets renewable and petroleum fuels and provides energy logistics services. MPC’s emphasis on continual improvement of operations positioned the company to earn ENERGY STAR certification for five refineries in 2020, the highest number of certifications by any refiner in one year. Key 2020 accomplishments include:
- Establishing a companywide greenhouse gas emissions intensity reduction target (for scope 1 and 2 emissions) that will result in a 30 percent reduction below 2014 levels by 2030.
- Extending the Focus on Energy program to the former Andeavor refineries acquired in 2018 and employing ENERGY STAR tools for assessing program implementation. As a result, 600 new metrics have been established and will help MPC optimize energy performance at these sites.
- Launching MPC’s Leading in Sustainable Energy strategy with core principles of lowering carbon intensity, increasing renewable fuels production and use, improving energy efficiency, conserving natural resources and reducing waste, and embracing innovation and deploying advanced technologies.
- Sharing best energy management practices within the ENERGY STAR industrial network and the ENERGY STAR Chemicals and Refining Focus.
- Reaching energy intensity reductions of 48 and 30 percent for two terminals in the logistics and storage business, exceeding the goals set for achieving the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry at these sites.