Marathon Petroleum Corporation
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Marathon Petroleum Corporation (MPC) is a petroleum distribution, refining and marketing company. In 2019, the company achieved a significant milestone for its six legacy refineries by reducing energy intensity by 2 percent since 2016, equivalent to 775 million British thermal units (MMBtu) per hour of energy and nearly 361,000 metric tons per year of carbon dioxide emissions. Key 2019 accomplishments include:
- Certifying four refineries in 2019, including two for a continuous period of 14 years. MPC celebrated by hosting its second consecutive ENERGY STAR industrial showcase to feature its refinery in Canton, Ohio, highlight refinery certifications, and share effective energy management strategies with attendees.
- Integrating 10 refineries acquired in 2018 into the MPC management system so that these facilities now have Energy Coordinators, energy accounting protocols, detailed tracking metrics, goals and roadmaps to close the gap between the current and benchmark performance.
- Requiring projects to be optimized for energy efficiency during project design. In 2019, MPC's refinery in Catlettsburg, Kentucky, and its Galveston Bay Refinery in Texas City, Texas, addressed steam production by retaining a full-time steam system technician to manage the steam systems, while Catlettsburg commissioned a waste heat steam generator to produce 20,000 pounds per hour to offset natural gas-fired steam boilers at a benefit of nearly $750,000 annually.
- Conducting energy treasure hunts, participating in the 2019 ENERGY STAR Treasure Hunt Campaign, and working with ENERGY STAR industrial partners to compare and benchmark best energy management practices.
- Installing LEDs at 375 Speedway retail locations and initiating a corporate analysis of the energy efficiency opportunities in these stores.