Marathon Petroleum Corporation
Partner of the Year
Marathon Petroleum Corporation is an integrated refining, marketing, and midstream company with crude oil refining capacity of more than three million barrels per day across 16 refineries, receiving Partner of the Year recognition. The company advances energy management throughout all operations and leads its industry in ENERGY STAR refinery certifications. Key 2018 accomplishments include:
- Improving energy intensity by two percent over 2016. Since 2002, the company’s efficiency gains have reduced greenhouse gas emissions per barrel of throughput by more than 20 percent, while efficiency gains in refining have helped avoid approximately 750 million British thermal units per hour of energy consumption.
- Expanding the company’s energy management network beyond refining to include its terminal, marine, transportation, pipeline, retail, and natural gas gathering and processing businesses.
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification at three of its refineries. The Garyville, Louisiana, and Canton, Ohio, refineries were the first to be certified for 13 consecutive years.
- Extending the ENERGY STAR industrial network and communicating energy management by hosting an ENERGY STAR Industrial Showcase at the certified Garyville Refinery. This provided a forum for 125 elected officials, regulators, industry peers, and employees to discuss energy efficiency and share best practices.
- Confirming a 38 percent reduction in source energy-use intensity over a period of 10 years at its corporate headquarters campus in Findlay, Ohio; taking the ENERGY STAR Challenge for the first time at nine fuels terminals, and a second time at its biorefining facility; and, retrofitting Speedway retail brand stores with exterior LED lighting and ENERGY STAR certified equipment.
- Continuing to implement a formal energy strategy for achieving best-in-class energy performance at its refineries through six key actions. The company’s logistics and storage division adopted a similar strategy in 2018 to drive improvements in energy use throughout its terminals, pipelines and transportation logistics assets.