Marathon Petroleum Corporation
Partner of the Year
Marathon Petroleum is the second-largest fuels manufacturer in the United States, with processing and refining capacity of about 1.9 million barrels of crude oil per calendar day. The company operates an extensive energy management program that carefully manages energy in plant operations. Marathon Petroleum is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year recognition for its broad commitment to pursue excellence in energy performance at its six refineries and other facilities. Key 2017 accomplishments include:
- Achieving a 2.5 percent improvement in the aggregate energy performance for its refining operations for a 3-year period concluding in 2017. Since 2002, the company has reduced the greenhouse gas emissions per unit of product by 16 percent.
- Earning the highest number of ENERGY STAR certified U.S. refineries with 39 certifications (75 percent of U.S. refinery certifications) since 2006. The company’s Louisiana and Ohio refineries have earned top quartile energy performance continually for 12 years, while in 2017, Marathon earned 3 certifications.
- Achieving the goals of the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry recognition and a 30-percent reduction at the company’s Cincinnati Renewable Fuels plant.
- Using energy performance benchmarking and evaluation “from the ground up” to determine the best way to adjust operations at two refineries that have not yet earned the ENERGY STAR, and initiating extensive facility improvements.
- Engaging communities near facilities and investors about ENERGY STAR and the company’s participation to promote energy management.
- Supporting the ENERGY STAR Focus on Energy Efficiency in Refining and Chemicals Production through best practice sharing and presentations to ENERGY STAR industrial participants.