Mansfield Independent School District
Partner of the Year
Mansfield Independent School District (MISD) serves nearly 33,000 students across more than six million square feet of building area. MISD is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year recognition for its commitment to improving energy efficiency as the district undergoes rapid growth. Key 2014 accomplishments include:
- Continuing with regular building audits, approximately 50 per week, and communicating its results with building administrators.
- Communicating the value of ENERGY STAR to internal and external audiences through presentations and encouraging a culture in which energy efficient behaviors are practiced at home, as well as at school.
- Enacting complete energy shutdowns over extended breaks, asking faculty and staff members to unplug all devices to diminish the possibility of wasted energy.
- Creating Energy Champion groups at all 41 of its elementary and secondary campuses. These Energy Champions communicate with the Assistant Superintendent and provide guidance and feedback to their campuses regarding effective conservation practices, encouraging every staff member to actively participate in energy conservation efforts.
- Avoiding more than $3 million in costs since June 2012, and more than $1 million in 2014 alone through energy efficient measures.
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for 35 buildings, for a total of 225 buildings since 2006.